FPC Presbyterian Women: Honorary Life Membership 2022
It is with joy that we celebrate Laura Sanderson Miller as a recipient of the Honorary Life Membership Award! Laura has been a member of this church since 1999 and her commitment and faithfulness in the Presbyterian church has spanned six churches and five states during the last 54 years.
Laura has faithfully served as a Deacon; Elder; every member canvasser; youth advisor; and a member of the Mission Committee; Worship, Music and Communion Committee; Choir; All Church Retreat; Presbyterian Women Circles 6 and 10, and the PW Coordinating Team. Laura, along with her husband Bill, participated in planning and hosting the Korean/FPC Exchange trips and supporting the Bolivian Mission. Several of us in the congregation have served with Laura on multiple Bolivian mission trips where she worked in the pharmacy and the Vision Clinic.
Laura has a heart for helping and uplifting youth and adults and has left a positive and lasting impact on the lives of others. Her service includes:
- President and/or parent worker in PTA of Cary schools for 15 years.
- Organizing president and active in the Raleigh Triangle Youth Philharmonic which was eventually sponsored by the North Carolina Symphony and now consists of six (6) full youth orchestras.
- Active member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and assisted a number of high school students compete for scholarships offered by the DAR.
- Funding scholarships such as:
- “Laurie and Jonathan Scholarship” for Triangle Youth Philharmonic.
- Charles Spurgeon Sanderson Scholarship,” at Mississippi State University in honor of her father.
- Supporting JiYoung Ahn, in her educational endeavors at Peace College and while earning a four-year Doctor of Optometry degree at Indiana University.
- Generously contributing to the Crossnore Community serving foster children in Western NC.
In Laura’s professional work life, she was a laboratory researcher and later a premium tax preparer for H&R Block. Laura prepared 8,400 tax returns over 28 years! It was a calling for her – not a job.
Laura has lovingly supported her husband, Bill, in his work, church and life goals including raising two Christian children who have families of their own. Bill describes Laura as “an energetic, independent and loving partner.” They have two children, Laura V. Miller and Dr. Jonathan W. Miller and three grandchildren: Sanders, Benjamin and Mina. Laura’s daughter shared some remembrances. “My mom is truly an amazing woman. She managed our house, supported her family in everything we did, made sure my brother and I had a multitude of experiences with many different people, and made sure we understood and cared for each of them in their own individual way. She also gave us a solid foundation in our belief in Christ and God. She led by example giving of her time to help others. I remember doing service projects with her as well like Meals on Wheels. She taught me that sometimes patience is required in life, and it is better to think of others before yourself.” Jonathan described Laura as “the rock of our family. Her love was that of a mother’s unconditional love. Her commitment and love sprang from her faith in God and Jesus. She showed charity and discipleship. She instilled in me her quiet faith, one that didn’t need to be spoken, as much as lived, one shown in her actions and commitments.”
We give thanks for Laura’s Christian faith, humanity, and humility. She is a worthy example for all of us. Congratulations, Laura Sanderson Miller.
Margaret B. Peacock
March 13, 2022