Opening its doors in 1994, Family Promise of Wake County (Family Promise) began as Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN).
It has developed into a multi-faceted program addressing homelessness and its causes. Family Promise’s mission is to transform the lives of families experiencing temporary homelessness by helping them find support services and safe, affordable permanent housing in our community. This is accomplished through their Day Center, Emergency Shelter Program, Transitional Housing Program, and New Lease on Life and Aftercare Program.
First Presbyterian Church is a host congregation for Family Promise and pre-COVID-19, FPC provided emergency shelter in the Stock building four weeks per year. During the pandemic, the program has pivoted to using transitional apartments adjacent to the day center for the homeless families, while the host churches provide breakfast, lunch, snacks and evening meals for the families.
Our next host week is June 7-14. Church school class leaders will get information regarding evening meals from Jan Denny and Sharon Starnes via email.
Currently, Family Promise is in desperate need of the following items to use at their day center during the pandemic:
- toilet paper
- paper towels
- trash bags (13-gallon and 32-gallon sizes)
- cleaning supplies (string mops, sponges, Comet, Spic’n’Span, glass cleaner, please no disinfecting wipes)
- laundry detergent (powdered, please)
- medicines (adult, child, infant – pain, fever, cold remedies)
- baby wipes
- Size 5 and 6 Diapers
- Overnight pull-ups or underjammies
- Shower curtains, liners and curtain rings
- Pack ‘n’ Plays
- unexpired car seats and booster seats (within 6 years of manufacture date)
- phone cards
- postage stamps (for letters)
If you have any questions, please contact Sharon Starnes, Jan Denny or Kathy Johnson.
To arrange donation drop-off please contact Kathy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 833-4070.