G E N E R O S I T Y 2 0 2 1
It takes faith to step out of the boat.
Join us as we set a new course and sail into uncharted territory! Each month we will challenge you – to go in a new direction, and step out of your comfort zone.
Monthly Challenge: October
One of our biggest leaps of faith involves the call to be generous, as we so often find our sense of security in what we have and own, the treasures we have stored up for ourselves. Jesus invites us, as an act of faith, to learn to let go of this false security by learning generosity, and trusting in God’s faithful provision.
Need some suggestions?
- Contribute to every special offering the church puts forward.
- Contribute $10 to a hunger relief agency for every meal you eat in a restaurant.
- Be extravagant in your contribution to this month’s FPC shares initiative. Purchase so much of that item that you’ll have to explain it to the cashier!
- Find a way to anonymously “pay it forward” by paying for someone’s meal or coffee.
- Make a pledge that stretches you to a new level of sacrifice. Increase your pledge by $100 a month, or more!
Let us know how it goes!
If you take us up on this challenge, we want to hear from you! We would like to share your reflections as a way to encourage others to take up the challenge as well.
What’s this all about?
This year, the Generosity Committee wants you to take a leap of faith, just like Peter’s experience in Matthew 14:28.
“Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, be cried out, “Lord, save me!”
We want you to reach beyond what he calls us to do – with faith, trust, commitment and confidence. We want you to step out of the boat and challenge yourself each month with an activity that stretches your mind, your faith, and even your habits, so that what we practice helps us grow in generosity and love.